Aluminium surface treatment
Previously, we talked about the characteristics of aluminium as a building element. Now we want to show you what increases its technical characteristics against corrosion.
A very dangerous issue for our railings, windows, doors, etc.
There are two surface treatments for aluminium: lacquering and anodising.
Each of them provides a protection mechanism against external factors that damage aluminium. Treatments by which the material extends its life cycle, being a suitable component for humid environments or places near the sea.
Lacquering and anodising of aluminium
Lacquering is a protection system in which paint is applied to the aluminium surface. The most commonly used in buildings are powder lacquering and liquid paint. The first one consists of bonding a polyester layer with heat while the second one consists of applying a polyester resin directly to the aluminium surface. The process is divided into three parts:
- Application of the powder paint.
- The aluminium surface is treated with water solutions to remove the natural rust of the material or any dirt. This provides the component with a uniform finish and protection against corrosion.
- Aluminium profiles are heated for a correct polyester resin bonding that is resistant to light and corrosion and has a long life cycle.
Anodising is an oxidation process for aluminium.
It is a surface treatment that fully protects against corrosion caused by the external environment based on electrolysis. The layer created by this method becomes part of the aluminium, hardening the surface and making it more resistant to abrasion and corrosion. It is developed as follows:
- Removal of any impurities by means of degreasing and shading.
- Aluminium is subjected to three water and air pressure baths to rinse it and ensure that it is completely clean.
- Electrolytic colouring by filling in anodising pores.
- Finally, the pores and material are sealed by means of a nickel bath.
The wide variety in which aluminium can be processed for construction is spectacular. Combined with its properties, this makes the material a fantastic element for project design. A component that must be included when planning your future architectural wishes.